- Laws Differ: State laws, local laws, and even local ordinances can affect your case. Local lawyers can determine all the nuances of your case and be able to protect you better. Lawyers can write your will, work through a divorce, help you set up guardianships for your children, and sell your home. They can also help with businesses by setting up your LLC or Sole Proprietorship, creating contracts, protecting you from lawsuits, and even meeting state and federal compliance.
- Whole Story: Meeting with a local lawyer allows him/her to ask follow-up questions to see the entire picture. They will be able to pick up on visual cues, verbal cues, and even your body language that will enable them to guide you in telling your story in a more caring manner.
- In the Know: Local lawyers know local judges and other lawyers. This knowledge may be beneficial to your case as they already know what judges prefer when trying a case and how to interact with attorneys that may be representing your opponent.
- Accessibility: You are able to meet at a mutually agreeable time. All of us have had appointments that are hard to keep, hard to get off work for, and even set for one time and three hours later you are still in the waiting room. Local lawyers realize your time is precious and try to ensure that their schedules reflect that for each of their clients.
- Cost: Local lawyers typically cost less, but even if they don’t, you’ll spend less money utilizing a local lawyer because they are already familiar with the state laws. Attorneys operating outside of the state, like through a lawyer mill, will need more time to review the cases and laws that support your case. Local attorneys already know what causes of action will apply to your case.
In a world where you can Google, search the internet, and even get legal counsel, it may seem strange to have a local lawyer. But ask yourself this, would you want a to see a medical professional you have never met before treating you for something serious? Then this area of your life shouldn’t be fast tracked to the internet either. You need a local lawyer in your corner for many reasons.
I really wonder if what lawyers see today is a product of our culture or just the byproduct of human nature. Are the actions of people today different than those of our ancestors 100 years ago? 2000 years ago?
Many of the lawyers I know truly want to help people because they know people make mistakes. Lawyers try to make sure the punishment fits the crime. However, some clients make it more difficult and sometimes impossible.
Imagine you’re a lawyer. You’ve told your client who was accused of murder the odds of winning, losing, and what would happen if your client loses in front of a jury. Your client decides to take the deal offered by the prosecutor. You show up at court to present your client to the court, and you hope the court will accept the deal offered by the State. You look over and in walks your client. He seemed like a nice enough guy. The court calls your case. Your client stands up, takes off his shirt, and reveals another shirt with the word “KILLER” written on it. It’s the same shirt he wore during the killing. What do you do?
Well, it happened to a lawyer in Ohio. If you showed up in a Roman Court for murder, would you wear something designed to inflame the person who was going to sentence you? If you had been picked up by the Inquisition for being a heretic, would you show up wearing a symbol associated with the black arts?
So what is a lawyer supposed to do in that situation? There’s not much he can do. Most lawyers work hard for their clients. What clients have to do is work hard to help their lawyers. It has to be a team effort...at least it should be.
Top Read Posts